A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Sunday 19 August 2007

Travel tears

Nicola, Pete, Lola and Nell want to travel the world with a difference. We hope to get a taste of many countries without adding to climate change (with needless emissions from aeroplanes) or having to waste hours of holiday time in airport terminals. We hope our adventures inspire you to take a Grand Tour of your neighbourhood whatever the weather. This post is from Nicola (pic is of my eyes, prickly & bloodshot!)

As we waited for a train to take us to Wakefield in west Yorkshire the soon not-to-be GNER service to Edinburgh pulled into the station. Over the crackly tannoy I heard “…calling at Durham, Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh..” and realized that it wasn’t just all change at GNER (Stage Coach is planning to take over the franchise in December), we are also close to the end of the northern leg of our world tour around Britain.

Less dramatically this means going back home to London, via Hertfordshire. But it also means back to the routines, and bills and interminably doing things I’ve done before, until I can do them no longer. Which is why at Darlington Station I sat down and wept until our own train pulled in; then got into the wrong carriage and ended up in a first class seat risking a penalty fare.

“We’re not leaving Yorkshire,” said Pete passing me the map and a Wensleydale cheese sandwich in a bid to cheer me up. “We’re going to Wakefield.” And soon we weren’t leaving our last happy stay near Leyburn on the edge of the Dales, but speeding towards the next exciting stop-off.

No comments: