A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Sunday 30 March 2008

One week's waste total

Nicola & Pete plus daughters Lola, now 9 and Nell, now 7, spent last year exploring Britain in a carbon-light manner. Our spring 2008 challenge is to give up waste from 24 March to 24 April. Most posts are by Nicola (as it was her silly idea). This is how it’s going:

Here is a pic of this week's waste - everything else we've been able to compost. I'm trying to avoid recycling, but Pete won't do that so the recycling bins are filling (albeit slower) with newspapers and bottles. Our waste shame includes:
4x magazine wrappers - possibly recyclable via Friends of the Earth's amazing office recycling facilities.
1x heavy plastic book promo quarter sleeve - pointless really but came from a free book Lola was given
1x cheese and onion hula hoops - yet to be turned into car boot sale treasure by the girls
1x drinking straw - from Nell's picnic lunch (a left over tetra-pak box in the cupboard)
1x polystyrene plate - from the riding school cafe eating failue - will be turned into a mask and then I think has to go
2x small plastic packets which had Easter eggs in (given by my mum to Pete)
1x starburst sweet detritus - possibly this is compostable, we'll give it a go.
The bin however is currently out of action, covered with a big homemade pic to try and stop us forgetting!

No comments: