A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Saturday 5 January 2013

Polish beer and cod philosophy

Ready to recycle. Sadly there are plenty more cans (and takeaway carcasses) to pick up next time I go to the park. 

Tatra turns out to be the top Polish beer - chosen by my local park's litterers.
This blog is about family travel around the world without leaving the UK. Impossible? No. This post is about how a walk in the local London park introduced me to favourite Polish lager brands. Words from Nicola Baird (see www.nicolabaird.com for more info about my books and blogs).  

Don't tell anyone but I semi try to do something good every day. But the sort of good I'm looking for is not meant to nterfere with my life or family - so doesn't always happen. Today while walking the dog I noticed a bank of beer cans had sprung up on the entrance to the park. The cans look horrible amongst the mugwort and teasel and are sure to get in the way if it ever snows again as this is where the little kids whiz down. So I picked them up: about five bags worth of Polish canned lager amusing myself by trying to learn the brand names - Tyskie (turns out to be the best selling brand), Tatra (most popular on my park's bank and named after the mountain range between Slovakia and Poland), Okocim (posh pilsner style) and Lech (reviewed here by a beer-loving blogger).

Several passers-by praised me for this not so noble action, which got me talking to strangers (also a good deed, possibly), but also gabbling that it's easy to walk on by one can; but much harder when there's a blizzard of them. Genocide should not be compared to litter, but I guess it is like that too - you ignore and ignore, until you can't. I think this is the same reaction as what's happening after the world outcry when the people in Delhi became so enraged by the hideous gang rape of a 23 year old woman who subsequently died. There is a remarkable (and amusing) blog piece here about how hard it is to be female in India and get rape taken seriously.

Apologies for the cod philosophy. Take comfort that at least another 50 aluminium cans are going to be recycled and you've just learnt the Polish word for beer, piwo (pronounced piva). Happy new year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very amusing short story! Love the witty way in which it's written!