A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Friday 1 March 2013

Making Welsh waves

This blog is about family travel around the world without leaving the UK. Impossible? No. This post is in honour of all things Welsh, wherever they are... Words from Nicola Baird (see www.nicolabaird.com for more info about my books and blogs).  


You can take the girl out of Wales, but you can't take Wales out of the girl. On a recent wander around Colombia Road Flower market I found this sign "a little bit of the Welsh countryside in the city" at www.jandbtheshop.com. It was selling knitted bunting triangles, jackets with patches, pretty pottery and a host of crafty lovelies - at London prices. But it started thinking about how many people have connections with Wales.  Not just famous-ish folk like Sian Loyd, Huw Edwards, Tom Jones, Cerys Matthews etc, but also my friends. Turns out I know far more people who've chosen to live in Wales (especially around Bangor, Machnynlleth, Cardiff and Llanidoes) or have some kind of a Welsh link, than I do Scottish or Irish locals (my dad who grew up in Nairn, Scotland and my mum who spent her first seven years running wild by Strangford Lough, co Down in northern Ireland would both be shocked!).

Borrow-dah (phonetic spelling)
Well 1 March is St David's day - the patron saint of Wales - so maybe it's reasonable to focus on the Welsh. I'd been hoping to see a friend who runs the wonderful organisation www.thesizeofwales.org doing PR in London, so put together a daffodil and leek collection in case she honoured us with a visit. Her team have been trying to save an area of rainforest the size of Wales - that's 2 million hectares. Here's hoping they make the target by St David's Day. Hurray, quick update about this from the BBC here.

Hats off
I also found this amazing hat similarity in this rather stylised (and upside down!) pic of old-time outfits. Look closely and you may be able to compare the rather similar headwear of the Welsh and Bolivian ladies.

Over to you
Where do you go to get a little bit of the Welsh countryside in your life - a farm, a phone, facebook or a particular place?


No comments: