A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Tuesday 21 May 2013

Biomechanics - easy exercise?

This blog is about family travel around the world without leaving the UK. Impossible? No. This post takes a look at an ever so simple way to make muscles work betterWords from Nicola Baird (see www.nicolabaird.com for more info about my books and blogs).

A slightly strange post showing a series of pix of me (and others) resisting movement in the style that I think is approved of by biomechanic advocates. It's all about resistance... recommended if you have a leg that is longer than the other, or you want to ride horses better (why do these two possibilities seem so strange?).

I suppose people in Herculaneum and Pompeii were doing something like this before their terrible ordeal with Mount Vesuvius.
push thigh up as you force the leg down.

lift


slump (yes I am wearing an outfit that was passed on by one of Lola's friends for my  12 year old).

slump and point toes


loosen the shoulder - keeping the hips still

my hands are holding an imaginary iron pole, so there.

now swing the hips

michael jackson pose

trainer claire resists a coat (this picture is screaming for a better caption!)


put a glove under your arm and bend ze elbows

I think this is the penguin pose  - it felt good, why doesn't it look cool?

Can all planes turn right here

using a filing cabinet/wall/door frame to resist movement

another penguin

No comments: