A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Sunday 2 March 2014

Quickie trip to Viking land

This blog is about family travel around the world without leaving the UK. Impossible? No. In this post the family take a quick visit to the land of the Vikings (modern Scandanvia). Words from Nicola Baird (see www.nicolabaird.com for more info about my books and blogs). I also publish an interview every week with people who live or work in Islington at islingtonfacesblog.com - there's a prize for the 100th follower.


It's so simple to take a trip to the land of the Vikings - from early March 2014 you can pop to the British Museum and enjoy the Vikings exhibition. I feel everyone in my household is obsessed by Vikings - the long boats, the horned-helmets and the scary fighting equipment. 

So when I saw this collection of boats (see pic above) produced as part of the run-up to the Viking exhibition I felt a lot happier. That boat in the foreground is knitted! The ones on the right look like something out of a child's French-look clothes catalogue. This is the Vikings without the rape and pillage, but just as fascinating. Anyway it made me want to go and have a look.

Here's how to book tickets (6 March - 22 June, 2014)

Over to you
What's your favourite Viking story?

No comments: