A-Z activities

A-Z countries

What's this blog all about?

Hi, I'm Nicola - welcome to a blog begun in 2012 about family travel around the world, without leaving the UK.

I love travel adventures, but to save cash and keep my family's carbon footprint lower, I dreamt up a unique stay-at-home travel experience. So far I've visited 110 countries... without leaving the UK. Join me exploring the next 86! Or have a look at the "countries" you can discover within the UK by scrolling the labels (below right). Here's to happy travel from our doorsteps.

Around 2018 I tried a new way of writing my family's and my own UK travel adventures. Britain is a brilliant place for a staycation, mini-break and day trips. It's also a fantastic place to explore so I've begun to write up reports of places that are easy to reach by public transport. And when they are not that easy to reach I'll offer some tips on how to get there.

See www.nicolabaird.com for info about the seven books I've written, a link to my other blog on thrifty, creative childcare (homemadekids.wordpress.com) or to contact me.

Thursday 14 January 2016

In praise of plimsolls

This blog is about family travel around the world without leaving the UK. We do this in a bid to be less polluting and tackle climate change while at the same time keeping a global outlook. This post looks at the role of Samuel Plimsoll  - the man who gave us the Plimsoll Line - in helping prevent lives being lost at sea.

If you see a portrait of Samuel Plimsoll he looks exactly as a Victorian social reformer should look - with a huge bushy beard. His campaigning saved many lives at sea, and it still does thanks to the line put on all boats in a bid to prevent them being overloaded. This is known as the Plimsoll Line, and it's also what inspired the tube symbol for London.

Samuel Plimsoll's signature (c) nicolette jones
Whose shoe?
One of my neighbours wrote a biography of Samuel Plimsoll, inspired by the name of the road she lives on. Several years later she's now trying to re-establish Plimsoll Day in a bid to help raise money for the RNLI charity. Her plan for Plimsoll Day 2016, which is on Wednesday 10 February is to ask people to wear plimsolls and tweet their feet. The suggested donation is only £1 and can be made via her just giving page, see here.

See more information about Plimsoll Day at this great blog post.

No comments: